The Express Entry Program, introduced in January 2015, is a program utilized by many individuals to obtain Canadian Permanent Residence. This program has replaced previous permanent residence categories aimed at skilled immigrants and was created to improve the efficiency of Canadian skilled immigration programs.
Express Entry is a completely electronic process involving the federal government, provincial governments, and Canadian employers. Express Entry manages applications for three economic immigration programs:
- Federal Skilled Worker Program: For those with work experience outside Canada.
- Federal Skilled Trades Program: For those with work experience in skilled trades.
- Canadian Experience Class: For those with work experience within Canada
Provinces and territories can also recruit candidates from the Express Entry pool through the Provincial Nominee Program (PNP) to meet local labour market needs.
There are 2 major steps in the Express Entry System:
Step 1 – Creating the profile
If you want to come to Canada as a skilled immigrant, your first step is to submit your profile to the Express Entry pool.
If you’re eligible, you will be:
- placed you in a pool with others who are also eligible
- given a score and rank you using several factors
- invited to apply to be a permanent resident of Canada (if you’re one of the top candidates)
You can only apply online if the Government of Canada sends you an invitation to apply.
Step 2 – Invitation to Apply
The Government of Canada sends invitations to apply to the candidates with the highest scores in the pool. If the Government of Canada invites you to apply, you’ll have 60 days to submit your application for permanent residence.
The Government of Canada will process most complete applications that have all the supporting documents in 6 months or less.
Contact us to find out if you eligible to apply for Permanent Residence in Canada through the Express Entry System.